You know you’re ready to make your dream look a reality with breast enhancement, but you aren’t sure which surgical approach is right for you. Will implants give you the perkier look you’re going for, or are you in need of a little more lift? As a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs both breast lift and breast augmentation procedures for Albany, NY, women, I’ve had this conversation more than a few times. The answer is different for every person, of course, but there are a few general guidelines I share with women weighing their breast enhancement options.
Read on to learn more about the differences between breast augmentation and breast lift and how you can decide whether combining these procedures is the right path for you.
When to Include Implants in Your Breast Lift
You may benefit from combining your breast lift with breast augmentation if:
- You are looking to regain or increase your breast size: Breast volume is often lost due to breastfeeding or weight loss, and implants help restore it. Or, you can choose a new size and shape to create the look you’ve always wanted.
- You want to correct asymmetry: Many women have naturally asymmetrical breasts, whereas others develop asymmetry after pregnancy or weight loss. I correct this imbalance by placing differently sized implants in each breast.
- You want a rounder, fuller shape: Implants allow you to customize your breast projection, upper pole fullness, and overall volume. It allows for a bit more personalization than a breast lift alone.
When NOT to Include Implants in Your Breast Lift
You may be happy with your results from a breast lift without implants if:
- You only want to correct drooping: You can typically go without implants if you are not looking for a size increase and only want to address stretched skin and achieve a “perkier” look.
- You are OK with your breasts staying the same size or appearing slightly smaller: A breast lift does not remove tissue, but breasts may appear or feel very subtly smaller once they are lifted and the skin is tightened.
Learn more about the benefits of a breast lift in this related blog post.
The Benefits of Combining Surgeries
You always have the option to get a lift and add implants separately should you change your mind in the future. However, having them done together offers the benefits of:
- A single recovery period
- Paying one set of surgeon’s fees and facility fees
- Enjoying your dream look now versus going back to make adjustments later
If you have an idea of the look you want to achieve but aren’t sure how best to achieve it, consult personally with a board-certified plastic surgeon. A surgeon who takes the time to listen closely to you and understand your desires will recommend the right approach for your individual goals.
To see examples of the results you can expect after a breast lift at Rockmore Plastic Surgery, please visit our before-and-after photo gallery.
If you would like to talk more about your breast lift or breast augmentation in the Albany area, please contact us online or call (518) 328-3330.