Whoever came up with the saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” might not have been talking specifically about wrinkles, but it certainly applies. People often think of anti-aging treatments such as BOTOX® Cosmetic to reduce wrinkles, but our Albany, NY, practice encourages starting an anti-aging regimen as early as possible.
It’s natural to put off thinking about wrinkles and lines until we actually see them in the mirror, but preventive skin care is even more effective because it delays their initial appearance. Fortunately, you can help prevent the onset of future wrinkles and other skin concerns at any point, even if your once-flawless complexion is already beginning to show those signs.
Step 1: Treat Yourself (and your existing skin concerns)!
The range of med spa treatments available for facial rejuvenation includes everything from facials to laser skin resurfacing.
- Facials – Regular, customized facials that address specific skin types are one of the best ways to improve your skin’s texture and appearance.
- Chemical peels – Peels, like facials, are customizable based on your skin’s condition and the extent of improvement you want to see. Deeper chemical peels involve downtime, but they can also dramatically reverse even moderate to severe wrinkles.
- Microneedling – This versatile treatment addresses multiple skin concerns, including wrinkles, fine lines, acne scars, and uneven skin texture. I recommend investing in a package of at least three treatments that are spaced about a month apart.
- Skin care products – Medical-grade skin care products can minimize early signs of aging. You can also find products designed specifically to treat acne flare-ups. Choosing the right products goes a long way. Establish an ongoing relationship with a medical spa, supervised by board-certified specialists, so you can create a skin care regime designed specifically for your needs.
Step 2: Prevention, prevention, prevention.
It bears repeating because it’s the best way to postpone the onset of wrinkles and fine lines and maintain healthy, glowing skin. (Check out another recent post for even more tips.)
- Preventive skin care – Start with sunscreen. Literally. Begin every day applying sunscreen to exposed areas of the skin as part of your routine. Sun damage is the primary reason for early signs of aging. The range of sunscreen products can be overwhelming; an aesthetician can help narrow your choices. Always use a sunscreen labeled “broad spectrum” (that means it protects against both UVA and UVB rays).
Preventive BOTOX – Few people think of BOTOX injections as a way to prevent wrinkles. But because BOTOX temporarily immobilizes the tiny wrinkle-causing muscles of the face, it can delay their appearance. Those movements cause “dynamic wrinkles” around the eyes and on the forehead. Limiting muscle movements with BOTOX can be an effective addition to your anti-aging regimen.
Want to learn more about how you can delay the appearance of fine lines? Contact us online or call our office at (518) 328-3330 to schedule a consultation. We’ll discuss your anti-aging goals and whether injectables and other nonsurgical options are right for you in the Saratoga-Utica area.
Leave a Reply