New to lip injections with JUVÉDERM® or other dermal fillers? Lip filler injections at our Latham location near Albany, NY, are popular for their ability to provide natural-looking lip volume with little to no downtime. While treatments are quick, easy, and safe in the hands of our experienced injectors, it’s normal to feel a few butterflies before you come in for your first visit.
That’s why we’ve compiled all the info you need to have a smooth and rewarding experience, from how to prepare to the best tips for aftercare. Read on to get all the details.
What Are Lip Fillers Made Of & How Do They Work?
Most lip fillers are made of hyaluronic acid (HA), a sugar that occurs naturally in your body. In fillers, this substance takes a gel form that adds temporary volume when injected just below the skin. Because HA is naturally occurring, it’s safe to inject and you won’t need any allergy testing before your treatment.
Injecting fillers into the lips creates a few different improvements, including:
- Adding plumpness to the body of the lip.
- Defining the vermilion border (the line that separates the pink part of your lip from the surrounding skin).
- Smoothing away vertical lip lines.
It’s an ideal treatment for people with naturally thin lips or whose lips have thinned as they have gotten older.
What Is a Lip Flip?
A popular enhancement to lip fillers, a lip flip uses BOTOX® Cosmetic injected near the upper lip to turn it subtly outward and upward. Although this doesn’t actually add any volume, it creates the illusion of a larger upper lip, especially for people who feel their top lip disappears when they smile.
Learn more about the differences between lip flips and lip fillers in this blog post.
Do Lip Injections Hurt?
Any filler treatment is mildly uncomfortable, as it involves a needle being introduced into the skin. Because your lips contain lots of nerve endings and a sensitive mucus membrane, lip injections typically do involve a little discomfort. But there are several ways we combat this to keep you as comfortable as possible.
The types of lip fillers we use in our office contain lidocaine, which is an anesthetic that helps with the discomfort of the injection. We also use a topical numbing cream, a cool compress, and a Zimmer Chiller. The Zimmer Chiller supplies cold air to the injection site, further numbing the area.
We do not use a dental nerve blocker prior to injections as this can distort the size and shape of the lips. Most people find our pain management practices are more than enough to get them comfortably through the injection process, which typically takes just minutes.
How Should I Prepare for Lip Injections?
Complete this checklist before your lip enhancement appointment to have the best experience possible:
- Choose the right injector: Look for a board-certified plastic surgeon or registered nurse with plenty of experience in aesthetic injections. (You can learn all about our team in this blog post.)
- Avoid alcohol or blood-thinning medications: With your doctor’s permission, hold off on blood-thinning medications or supplements, alcohol, and NSAIDs (Advil®, Motrin®, and so on) for a few days before your appointment.
- Arrive with a clean face: We’ll need to sanitize your injection sites, so any makeup will need to be removed.
- Take acetaminophen: Tylenol® is safe to take before and after your injections. Taking it before your appointment is a great way to get ahead of any soreness.
You may also want to make sure you don’t have any major events on your calendar for the next few weeks. You’ll have a little bruising and swelling that will need to subside before you look your absolute best.
What Are the Best Tips for Lip Injections Aftercare?
Follow these do’s and don’ts for a speedy recovery:
- DO: Take Arnica montana. When taken after your injections, this homeopathic supplement alleviates some of the common side effects, such as bruising.
- DO: Apply ice to the treated area following your treatment to minimize swelling.
- DO: Sleep with your head elevated the first night to help with inflammation.
- DON’T: Touch or massage the treated area. This may cause irritation.
- DON’T: Schedule any dental procedures for the next two weeks.
- DON’T: Engage in strenuous activities or expose yourself to heat for 24 hours after your treatment.
If you experience any concerns as you recuperate, give us a call and we’ll make sure your lips are healing properly.
How Much Do Lip Fillers Cost?
Dermal fillers are priced per syringe, and most lip augmentation treatments take between .5 and 2 syringes. The cost of lip injections at our Albany County practice is $700 per syringe (JUVÉDERM, JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA®, Restylane®).
How Long Do Lip Fillers Last?
Lip fillers typically last between 6 and 12 months. HA fillers naturally dissolve over time, causing a gradual decrease in volume. Most people choose to see us once or twice a year to maintain their fuller, younger-looking lips.
Where Do I Start?
If you would like to learn more about lip injections and other medical spa treatments at our location near Albany, please request a consultation online or call (518) 328-3330.
Leave a Reply